Special Events for the Visiting WI Poet Laureate
A Call for Poetry-inspired Art
Deadline September 1: Create visual art inspired by one of three poems to submit for a juried exhibit (view detailed instructions):
- Poem 1: Somewhere Everything Old is Dying by Karla Huston, Wisconsin Poet Laureate
- Poem 2: Theory of Lipstick
- Poem 3: Tough Like the Tansy
Poetry-inspired Art Exhibit
September 16-29: View the exhibit at the Washburn Cultural Center, Tuesday through Saturday, 11-4.
Events During the Visit of 2017-2018 Wisconsin Poet Laureate
September 29-30: Join Karla Huston (print schedule) for a reception and poetry reading, a workshop...
- 2:00 pm: Classroom Visit, Bayfield District School
- 6:00-9:00 pm: Reception, Washburn Cultural Center (open to the public)
- 7:00 pm: Poetry Reading, Washburn Cultural Center (open to the public) Bayfield Poet Laureate Howard Paap & Wisconsin Poet Laureate Karla Huston
More details: A reception for the state poet laureate and the participating artists in the "Poetry-inspired Art" exhibit will be held at the Washburn Cultural Center from 6-9 pm on September 29. Starting at 7 pm, Karla Huston and Howard Paap will read the three poems that inspired the art exhibit, the juror will present a juror's choice and two honorable mention awards for best interpretation of the poems, and the Bayfield Carnegie Library Director will announce the viewer's choice award for everyone's favorite art piece. Immediately following, Karla Huston will continue with a poetry reading and make some comments about her poet laureate position.
- 10:00 am: Poetry Workshop, Bayfield Carnegie Library
Karla Huston will lead a workshop for participants to write poems about the "things" in our lives. She says attendees can choose an object and create another use for it or write from its point of view. From bagels to screw drivers or objects more or less mundane, something new and something unexpected will emerge. This workshop will be held at the Bayfield Library. No writing experience is necessary. Registration by calling the library is requested.
For information about Karla Huston, check out the following:
- Article about Karla Huston's poems (posted on wisconsinacademy.org)
- Profile about current and past Wisconsin Poets Laureate (posted on wisconsinpoetlaureate.org)